The current year is coming to an end, and it’s time to review how it went. Self-reflection is vital if you want to live your life by design. Just as you should review each day, week, and month, at the end of each year you should set aside a block of time to review the year and reflect on it.
This will allow you to do all of the following:
- Recognize your accomplishments and give yourself kudos for what you did well.
- Reflect on the lessons you learned, as well as the knowledge and skills you acquired.
- Acknowledge your mistakes and missteps so you can use them as a self-improvement tool.
- Analyze how you could do better moving forward.
- Figure out what gives you joy and what you’re truly passionate about.
One of the best ways to review your year is by asking yourself questions. Sit down at your computer, or take out a notebook and a pen, and fill out the answers for the following year-end reflection questions:
1. The most important goal that I achieved this year was:
2. My biggest fitness accomplishment was:
3. My biggest career accomplishment was:
4. My biggest relationship accomplishment was:
5. These are the skills I acquired this year:
6. A big mistake that I made this year—and the lesson that I learned as a result—was:
7. An obstacle or a challenge that I overcame this year:
8. This year, I learned the following about myself:
9. Here’s something I learned about other people:
10. This made me laugh the hardest this year:
11. The most fun I had all year was:
12. My best memory of the year was:
13. My biggest regret of the year was:
14. My biggest disappointment of the year was:
15. The books I read this year were:
16: I adopted this new positive habit:
17. I dropped this negative habit:
18. Here’s how I grew emotionally this year:
19. Here’s how I grew spiritually this year:
20. If I could change one thing about this year it would be:
21. My biggest time waster this year was:
22. Here’s a great time-saving hack I learned this year:
23. What I am most grateful for this year is:
24. Here are three words that would sum up this year:
If you're gonna give this a try for the first time, I'd love to know! Send me a DM to let me know how it goes.